smallest town on the western side of the island is situated narrow
channel extending inland from a wide and very well protected bay.
Vrboska was inhabited in the 15th century by the local people from
Vrbanj. The oldest local houses are placed within the St. Mary church,
which is the most outstanding and unique building in Vrboska.It
was built on the grounds of a former church dating from the 11th
century and fortified in 1575 since the local people were afraid
of the possible Turkish attack so that the church represents a bastion
fort. The oldest houses dating from the 15th century are of Gothic
style and some of them still show traces of devastation fire - reminder
of the fights during the popular uprising (1510-1514) and of Turkish
naval attack on the island in 1571. While in Vrboska one should
also visit the chapel of St. Peter on the waterfront first mentioned
in Codex of laws 1331. This document declared the borders of the
inhabited localities: Vrbanj and Pitve. In that period Vrboska and
Jelsa didn't exist.
can be divided into two parts: Pjaca (eastern part) and Padva (western
part). The narrow streets around Pjaca, the lovely pine-wood and
general impression of protection and security lend Vrboska a peculiar
charm of its own. The churches of Vrboska house the greatest cultural
treasures of the island of Hvar. On the main altar of the church
of St. Laurence stands a beautiful polyptych probably made by Paolo
Veronese which represents the figures of St. Laurence, St John the
Baptist and St. Nicholas, the silver golden Crucifix from the 17th
century by Tiziano Aspetti, Three saints, The Christmas Eve and
St. Anthony by Celestin Medovic. As far as the sculptures are concerned
the statue of St. Peter, a piece made by a scholar of Nicholas from
Florence and two wooden angels by Antonio Pori should be mentioned.
Furthermore, the polyptych includes Madonna of rosary by Leonardo
Bassani, Burial and Resurrection, the works believed to be made
by Giuseppe Albardi.
More about Vrboska - www.vrboska.net